Search This Blog

Friday, March 24, 2017

LBC: What is the most difficult thing to avoid in lolita?

"Ship's Log, Supplemental Entry:
I was gonna be cute about this topic, and mention things that are likely to go wrong for a lolita, like knocking over teacups with your petticoat, or passersby asking for photographs and if you are in a play while in the middle of a crosswalk...


But the truth is this:
Even if the entire night goes perfectly, and everything is on point,
I'm still gonna sweat.


The biggest problem areas for me are under my arms when I'm wearing layers like a blouse + JSK + undershirt, and my forehead when I'm wearing a wig, due to the fringe against my face.  I usually take one or more of the following precautions to deal with this:

1 - I always carry oil blotting sheets.  This helps me remove excess oil (happens when your face sweats) without messing up my makeup, especially on my forehead and under the wig's bangs.

2 - I wash my wigs' bangs in between regular wig washings.  Since that portion touches my face directly, I want to make sure it is as clean as possible so that I don't break out.

3 - I wear wigs with short bases.  Even if I pile on tons of hair with clip in falls, there is very little hair hanging against the base of my neck and shoulders, which helps keep me cool.

4 - I carry cool packs.  In my pockets or in my bag, just in case I get stuck waiting in line at an overheated venue, like a concert.  Fans are cute, but cool packs are subtle and can be placed on the forearm or back of the neck and you don't have to waste energy waving them around.

5 - I carefully consider my layers.  Jackets and boleros are nice and roomy.  My camisoles are either quick-dry, moisture wicking, or underarmour, and I'll choose tights over socks or I will trade out items like a thick organza petticoat for a cage skirt when necessary. 

6 - I wear dress shields.  I have tried them all, and this machine washable one (pic is SFW, but he's a hunk, so you've been warned), from Advadri, is my favorite (comes in white & nude, too), but they also make minimal ones that clip to your bra straps, and disposable ones that adhere directly to your clothing.  I just like knowing my dress shields are absolutely firmly in place, especially for outfits like this where adhesives would not stick, and especially since antiperspirant + sweat can cause chemical stains over time.

7 - And lastly, most of my blouses and casual items are easily machine washable.  This also comes in handy since I have a dog, and occasionally miss my mouth when eating.


So now you know my awful secret (and why I prefer Winter ILD to Summer ILD!!)  

Until next time!  Bear out!"


Other blogs that participated in this Lolita Blog Carnival topic:

2 comments:

  1. I could probably pick a couple of these tips off you. Fortunately the UK doesn't often get very hot, but I do have a problem with sweating and need some pointers for protecting my Lolita from the effect. By now I've figured out how to do makeup in a way that's sweat and smear proof, but it's a lot harder to not let it affect your clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I hoped they'd be helpful! Also, heck yes to smear and sweat-proof (and up here, rain proof, haha!) makeup!

      Delete